piątek, 19 kwietnia 2013

Last minute


This was really "last minute" opportunity. My business appointment, planned for Wednesday in UK, was cancelled on Tuesday. Wizz air tickets can't be returned, so they were going to be wasted. I didn't think to long; I asked my boss for two days off, packed my bag, and was ready to go.

My first stop was Victoria Station. When I was a schoolboy, Mr Brown from my English book, commuted from Bishopton to London every day by Victoria Station. Victoria Station was not only the place, where he changed his mean of transport, but also place, where I learned new words and grammar rules. I wanted to check, if Victoria Station I remember from pictures in this book really looks as I remember.


Victoria Station


Unfortunately not.  Not only adverts and modern booths screen respectable walls, but also a policewoman asked me kindly, to not photograph security cams, but suggested me rather to go away. I saw only a few stone works, which may remember steam locomotives bringing Mr Brown to his office.

The next attraction was Westminster Cathedral. Build in roman like style, it is main catholic church in London. It is huge and impresive, but lighting of the church by candles for centuries makes naked walls above marble cladding contrasting dark, almost black. It creates impression, that since Henry the VIII, there was no significant improvements here.


Westminster

Westminster

Westminster

Westminster Abbey is quite opposite. It is anglican, there is no free admission, build in gothic style and making photography there is prohibited. Abbey's magnificence clearly says, that cooperation with the authorities is beneficial. Wealth, lordiness and historical and cultural importance of this place is clear. I am really sorry, that taking photos there is prohibited.

Westminster

Westminster

Saint Paul's Cathedral is the third the most important church in London. It has monumental dimentions and even nowadays it still dominates above surrounding buildings. Unfortunately, funeral ceremony of Lady Margaret Tacher was organized on Wednesday, so I was able see Saint Paul's Cathedral only from distance.

London

London


It is difficult to predict how long St. Paul will be so dominant. London is growing up very quickly, and after another decade, today the dominant structures become quite modest.


London